Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Ouch. This weather and those pics push me ever closer to that smart trainer and Zwift combo!
That's not a bad idea. Are they the ones that have a cassette attached to the machine so you essentially just mount the rear end of the bike direct?? I had a old turbo trainer ages ago but clamping on the rear tyre onto a roller always felt weird.

The only option is Watt bikes, use to love them in the gym, but I think COViD have driven used prices through the roof.
Yes, that's right. There are smart trainers that are wheel on, but I don't fancy that idea. The direct drive ones are the ones with the cassette on - more expensive but a better experience.

All smart trainers do power etc. and change settings in line with what the app is doing (Zwift, Sufferfest, Trainerroad etc.).

I was initially tempted with the Elite Drivo ii, but further research led me to conclude that the Wahoo Kickr is the one that I would like. Tacx Neo 2 looks good as well. These are the £1k-ish options, but all have a mid-range option around the £600-700 mark and the Wahoo (Core) in particular stacks up well against the top of the range one.

An interesting option that someone into gadgets might like (me included) is that for the Wahoo you can also buy a machine that lifts and lowers the front end to simulate the gradients that you are riding.

They're not cheap, but over the last decade I've consistently spent more time on my Life Fitness indoor bike than my outdoor bike. Simply being time short and needing close to 25 degrees to motivate me outside!

Like you, I loved the Wattbikes in the gym. You might also want to check out the new Wattbike Atom. It's cheaper than the Trainer/Pro and hooks up to a tablet and app rather than their own screen.
Or you could spend the money on a mountain bike and embrace the rain, mud and cold.
Appreciate 1