View Single Post
      04-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #23
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
So... I HAVE a 2015 435i AND I bought CarMax warranty. Was about $2900 for 4 years or 75k miles.

In the 3 years I have had it, the following has happened to my car from 50k miles to 65k miles:

1. Enhanced cruise control failed - Carmax refused to cover it citing my car was lowered. It was.
I just live with it for now as I never use Cruise Control. Cost is $800 to re-align it per dealer.

2. GPS navigation failed - Carmax warranty covered the head unit (new/refurbished), cost was $2800 unit and 4 hours of labor (Like $800).

3. Radiator (top hose) broke off - I was fiddling with it, but this is CRAZY common. I fixed it for $35 BUT if this popped off during a road trip, that's loss of coolant and a tow. The warranty from CarMax would have covered it.

4. Emission item went dead - BMW covered this but informed me of the tune in the car and flagged it.
So engine and tranny and driveline warranty is gonna be a fight in the future.

WHAT I LEARNED
In working with the CarMax adjuster, IF there is ANYTHING not stock, they won't cover it. Period. BMW is happy to work with CarMax. So take it there and let them fix. I don't know if any independent shop can work with CarMax - haven't tried yet, BUT they should as long as the shop/tech is ASE certified.

So my 2-cents... IF you don't plan on ANY modifying work, get the extended warranty - from whoever. BUT IF YOU DO, plan on VERY limited coverage and some refusals from the extended warranty company.
How does that work with a 3rd party warranty? Obviously BMW is fully capable of denying powertrain warranty on a tuned vehicle, but a 3rd party has no way to know? Especially if you flash back to stock before going to the dealer; if there is no warranty coverage concern with BMW they wouldn't be concerned about checking for a tune and alerting anyone.
Appreciate 0