11-05-2019, 06:38 AM   #8
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICUS View Post
Agree, let it go. Funny though this happened to my friend with a 740il. He bought at auction, fixed it up and drove it for a while then sold it for a profit. Fast forward, he got a similar notice and contacted his lawyer to see what his options were. Long story short, he drove to Texas, handed over $1000 and resold the thing AGAIN for $12000.
That's amazing lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
In ny you get a title mailed to you in 48hrs...On the Dmv website. It worked for me when I had thought I lost mine. Not cheap if I recall correctly but you can get it fast.
Yeah sadly in NJ you have to go in person, and 48hrs would still barely be enough time before I leave Thursday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
You sold the car so ethically, it's not yours, regardless of what the title may say.

Simply tell the cops that and move on with your life. Don't worry about losing a potential profit because surely that would be some sort of fraud, wouldn't it.

Tell yourself that because it got impounded, the current "owner" probably beat the crap out, did some stupid stuff and didn't maintain it. You'd probably be right.
You're probably right about it being beaten down. I'm fairly sure it's not fraud though, the one committing fraud is the one illegally driving a vehicle for 10 years.