View Single Post
      07-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Now you need an assistant. Have them turn the crankshaft clockwise (very slowly) while you watch through the little inspection hole. The newtis instructions say not to turn it counter-clockwise, but I'm not sure what the harm is if you pass it up by a little and have to go back. It needs to be very exact, a mm too far with the crank pulley and the key won't fit.

You won't have the proper angle to see directly into the hole, so this is best accomplished laying on your back with a bright light and an inspection mirror. I made a paint mark at 12 o'clock on the crank pulley once I found it. This makes it easy to find again and eliminates the need for an assistant (though it's still easier to do with one)

Here it is with the key locked in place. Once it is locked, go ahead and try to turn the crank pulley either direction. If you can move it, the key is not in place. This step is critical, failure to perform this correctly will cause you to need to remove the engine to reset the timing! So don't move on until it's locked.

Now we're done under the car.

Back up top, remove the torx heads that cover the ECU

Then we've got rubber grommets that hold the wiring into the mounting box, they just pull up and out

Then remove the computer harness. You slide a tab sideways on the two clips and they release very easily. It should come out by hand or with a small screwdriver. Don't pry on these, I'm sure they're not cheap or easy to replace.

Remove the ECU and push the wiring out of the way. Remove the 2 bolts that hold the computer box in place

Remove the 4 bolts from the strut tower brace, it's a large E18 socket. The two bolts by the windshield have little plastic covers you need to pop off.

Once that is removed, remove the screws from the additional plastic cover behind it and get it out of the way

Then remove the acoustic cover, there are 2 plastic clips

Then remove the torx screw that holds the dipstick in place and pull it out. You may notice I had the intake removed for cleaning, so your engine bay will look slightly different.

There's two clamps that hold the supply and return lines to the high pressure pump. Loosen the clamps and pull both hoses free.

Last edited by kdog_x; 07-14-2019 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
FaRKle!4016.00
obert1781.00