08-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #12
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You'll have to remove on option, probably the VSS. Although, I rarely see M adaptive X-drive cars even on the forums. There's a reason the X-Drive cars have more suspension travel and softer dampers than base RWD cars. Most people who live in colder climates get the X-Drive because they think they need it for snow and they couldn't care less about the performance of the car.

I personally lived in snowy climates with a RWD Infiniti coupe just using a good set of snow tires every winter. I felt more sure-footed in that car than I did in my family's old GMC Yukon 4x4 with all season tires on it. Of course, the Infiniti had an LSD so that might have improved the overall traction in the winter.

Does Utah get a lot of snow in the winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Not the same thing. They have fixed setting choices for rebound you manually configure & are not continuously adjustable. Once set you are locked into that setting till you reset them to a different choice.

You can play around with the adjustment and maybe do a better job then the BMW engineers did or maybe not.

Might be a good choice to go from a base suspension to a sport, there are a lot of products available, but I don't believe for a street driven car you can do better then the adaptive package.

Adaptive has a number of program choice available on the fly & constantly adjust to changing road & driving conditions under computer control. Drive my wife someplace in comfort. Drop her off, push a button & go to sport & tighten the suspension. Pick her up hit comfort & loosen the suspension.

Had it on my last two coupes. 135is has the fixed performance package & its a rougher ride then adaptive in Comfort mode & not a flexible as adaptive in Sport.

Have double adjustable (rebound/compression) coilovers on my COBRA & they can't do what the BMW package does. Only thing better is the GM magnetorheological system
I don't think the F30's EDC is good enough to react to road conditions. I have a Chevy SS with MagneRide and that system can react pretty quickly but it still has its limitations. BMW's EDC in comparison feels more like a one setting system that simply allows you to switch from soft and sport damping. The EDC dampers simply use an electronically controlled valve, a very basic system. It is acceptable for setting a comfort setting, but not so good at reacting to road imperfections or cancelling out body roll. Even compared to other similar adaptive suspensions, the F30 is not that great. And it's not even close to something like MagneRide. MagneRide can easily decrease body roll and deal with sudden bumps and road imperfections.

The problem is that BMW still wants to sell these cars to non-enthusiasts who expect a soft comfortable ride with a "luxury car". So the spring rates are chosen to be mediocre at everything but not perfect for anything. So you don't get a really great handling car, nor do you get one that's very comfortable. You just kind of get a mish-mash of both. I'd much rather have a fixed properly tuned suspension over the M Adaptive. Either M Performance or a good set of comfort street coilovers is really the best option for people looking for a well handling car.

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 08-19-2018 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0