04-23-2021, 12:56 PM   #54
_das_bae_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
Wow, that is some epic work you've put in there for the headlight retrofit!
Thanks, I would say it was worth it given the price/performance of LCI LED assemblies, plus the light output at night is a massive improvement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigge View Post
Intense! Wish I had the confident to pull something like that off. Knowing how expensive they are I would be terrified of accidentally damaging them.

I removed the lenses from a aftermarket pair of headlights on one of my older cars, so I know what a pain in the ass that is. But how many hours did this take you?

How hard would you say it is just to install the different angel eyes? Cause that looks dope and I would love to have those on mine!

Good job! 👏🏻👏🏻
It's not too bad if you're patient with it! My hands were sore after getting the casings open The overall project took around 30 hours, split over a weekend...with about 10hrs dedicated to splitting the housing. It wasn't too hard to dissemble the inner components as long as you have the right tools and use gloves to not scuff the chrome. To remove the old rings requires unclipping them from each "projector" shroud as well as sliding the base of the rings out (you can see where from under the headlight housing that has the 2 LED bulbs). If you plan to use the same style rings it might require trimming the bottom of the low beam projector so that the rings can be mounted flush.

Honestly all headlight housings are similar on the inside, it's just seeing if it's a screw, glue, or clip holding the pieces in. I'd done similar retrofits on E9x platform so it was interesting seeing the revised components over the old design. I wasn't too worried about damaging them and made sure to measure/mock fit things up before committing, the main thing is being careful to separate/clean the housing of the old permaseal and reseal it correctly with thick/evenly filled fresh butyl.
Appreciate 0