View Single Post
      10-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #9
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Those are great mods - I think you're doing it right. The next thing you might consider is a down pipe, as they add some nice power and noise without any reliability concerns. Also a charge pipe is good for peace of mind... my OEM charge pipe failed at Summit Point this summer, which really put a damper on things.

There are certainly cars that pull away from me on the straights, so adding a tune would be the next step... but I think I'm actually done modding the car (I actually never thought I'd say that!!)

If I were to do a tune, I'd go with one of the reputable flash tuners in my area that use a dyno to dial things in. The goal for me would be a marginal increase in boost (nothing crazy), but with a focus on having instant throttle response, combined with linear throttle mapping and a HP/torque curve that doesn't fall off all the way up to redline... hopefully adding a little more headroom at the top end. I would also do a Wagner Competition FMIC to make sure the increased boost didn't get things too hot.

But at this point I feel like the car already has plenty of power, and I'm more interested in enjoying the copious mechanical grip that I'm getting with all the chassis tuning I've done. (And by the way, for a car with no rubber anywhere in the suspension - all poly, heim joints, mono balls and spherical bearings - the ride is still very well composed on the street.)
My charge pipe also failed on me at 81,000 miles at Summit Point this season. I had it replaced under the extended warranty. An aftermarket charge pipe is in store for me after 100,000 miles unless BMW revises the OEM part.
Appreciate 0