10-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #92
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
I was totally with you until knocking the entry level. There are enthusiasts and snobs at all price points. But I guess no one is special was maybe your point.. ?
My point is to not knock the entry level...I own an "entry level" 3-series as well. My point was generally the people I see that are most vocal about their brand loyalty or have a snobish outlook on other brands are generally the 3-series owners. I assume because for many years that our 3-series were generally the benchmark and now most brands have caught up or surpassed BMW in this regard. It seems many owners can't fathom this and have to express their hatred towards the other brands and all the short coming they have.

You are right their are snobs at all price point and it's arguably worse the higher you go. I think the 3-series market of $40-60k is probably the most competitive though as they are the highest selling. In this day and age people have the insecurity of trying to prove their purchase to other brand loyalists.

Although, maybe a bad example but in this case the OP went from a 335i to a RS3. For all intensive purposes they are a similarly price vehicle with the RS3 being slightly more expensive and a better performing vehicle. Now take for example M3 or M5 owners that move up to slightly more expensive P-cars...how many forum members do you see having the same reaction? Again, maybe not a perfect example but my point remains that owners in this price point and market seem to have much more to prove compared to many of the true car enthusiasts that appreciate more than one single brand. I think once people have had the opportunity to own each of these performance models (or brands) you find there is strengths and weaknesses to all of them and the division on what's superior becomes a difficult point to substantiate.
Appreciate 2
jmg18703.50