View Single Post
      04-16-2023, 02:51 PM   #43
cezar22
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328dX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cezar22 View Post
That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I'll update once I get around to doing the repair. Might be a bit as it's extremely cold here.
A bit is two years apparently. Got this pipe replaced with a bit of radiator hose.

I really struggled to figure out how to do it because there is some sort of sensor or something at the intake side and it goes basically:

crappy crazy straw tube -> rubbery hose bit -> sensor.

I ended up just using a hose that had the right I.D. to fit entirely over the hose bit and fit on the engine end as well, with hose clamps on both sides. I ran into another issue where the thickness of the hose clamp prevented some sensor thinggy on the engine side from being able to connect. I ended up just running the clamp all the way around the sensor connector AND the hose. Obviously this is not as tight of a connection this way but it worked. I suspect, at least at the engine side, most people have enough crazy straw tube left to hook on to but that seems like a worse repair than what I did.

Overall not super happy with the repair method, but it's working. The car feels better, maybe it's just placebo, but it just feels more 'together' with this and a mild flutter noise I occasionally heard, that I had chalked up to valvetrain noise or turbo noise, is gone.

This crazy straw hose piece is baffling to me. Literally every single other air line in the engine bay is rubber, and then BMW used this crap plastic on the CCV line. Bizarre.

A lot of really odd engineering choices in this car. Some of which are good--for example I have worked on trucks with less room under the hood-- and some of which are awful, like the under-tray fastener design.

The car feels like it was designed by 5-6 different companies, not one.
Appreciate 0