08-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #12
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Is it possible to get a factory type tinting that doesn't show a gap around the window sill. I have a 430i Gran Coupe and film tinting looks awful when the doors are open.

Also, how durable and permanent are these aftermarket tinting especially going over rear defogger element. Factory tinting in the X class are permanent inside the glass coating and they look great.
I'm assuming you're talking about the gap at the top of the window where they stop the film so it won't peel back. I've had tint on every car since like 2005 and when you get a good shop, they will slide the tint all the way up to the very top so you won't have a gap or it'll be so minimal that it's barely noticeable. After install you shouldn't roll your windows down for about 3-5 days to give it time to dry completely and you'll be fine.

For your 2nd question, aftermarket tint can be removed. There's a small risk that you'll damage the rear defogger lines. I just had old tint removed on my 335 and it wasn't an issue.

My main suggestion is to make sure you get high quality fade resistant or fade free film. I've had really good luck with LLumar. My last 2 cars had LLumar CTX Ceramic, my current 335 has LLumar Stratos dual layer infrared rejection film, and my wife's leased X3 has LLumar Pinnacle Ceramic. Other people swear by 3M.

Go to a good shop in your area and talk to them about it. Where are you located? I got mine done at Chicago Auto Pros in Lombard and they have a 2nd shop in Glenview.

*edit* You asked about durability as well. As long as you're not picking at it with sharp fingernails or something, I don't think you'll ever have an issue with durability. I don't have kids, so I don't have to worry about them being jerks, but they always seem to be very durable...

Last edited by BeerHerder; 08-08-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0