05-24-2019, 02:08 AM   #69
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
This is the first I've heard of any sort of sludge issue in an n20.

I mean, these engines have been out of a while and sludge build up is definitely NOT a "known issue".

Valve cover gaskets are somewhat common to replace on the n20 and I've never heard reports of anyone seeing sludge build up when the valve cover comes off. Furthermore, I've never heard of anyone reporting sludge being a factor, at all, on these timing chain failures, until just now. keep in mind deanmajidy bought his car used and doesn't know the history.

The fact is, no one has been able to correlate n20 oil change intervals to timing chain failures. There's been no evidence of that.

And, if the root problem was sludge related, it would be obvious and quite easy for BMW, or a BMW technician, to see that when they inspect the engine or replace timing components. And that's never been mentioned before. It also doesn't make sense that BMW would know sludge is the root cause and then design a new timing chain. And, furthermore, that the new timing chain revision would solve the problem.

Sludge has been a known issue, which is why everyone is going with shorter OCI.

@ Egon0119, you lucky lucky man, your car just had a new lease on life literally lol! I'm about 67.5k now, in about 2k miles i will schedule one last visit to see if i can get mine changed.
Appreciate 0