03-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #66
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420 View Post
So w hen did you do your first detailing on your new car? Did you not wait for seal protect to wear off?
Secondly how often do you have to detail? Can you not just wash and wax for sometime?
Finally what is iron remover? Cant seem to find it.
Thanks
I didn't go for 'Seal and Protect'. My detailer sold up after I'd arranged my car detail, went to work for BMW and was going to do my car as a favour as pre-existing work... Then he moved on the week before my collection. So, he no longer had access...

So, I let the dealer do their standard preparation... I'm just waiting for a time when I have the 5-8 hours free on a dry and preferably overcast day to do the work myself. A detailer will have a decent sized, clean and dry indoor space so they can work effectively all year round. My garage is cramped and the opposite of McLaren clean...

I'll just strip off their wax, deep clean the paint and re-protect. Hopefully there will be nothing to correct...

I do my car properly 2-4 times a year. Every spring to sort it out after winter and every autumn, late on, to give protection for winter. If I have an opportunity in summer, on a dull day, I'll do the car again, just for the extra shiny shiny element.

You can get a good couple of months out of most protectants, more if topped up. I use wax and top it up with an acrylic sealant when I gave the chance for more than just a basic wash. About 20 minutes extra to Spritz on DoDo Supernatural Spritz, spread and buff up.

For Iron remover I have DoDo Ferrous Duller. Basically attacks iron deposits on your paintwork and removes them prior to claying.

Once protected the car is easy to wash, the paintwork is protected and it is extra smooth so there is no roughness for muck to cling to.