01-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #930
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Thanks for posting . The more I look at the new models the less I get why people go for vintage and even absurder thing is that they flank Rolex for incorporating beefier lugs in newer models . That's a tool watch and one of the best ways to stress this upon is to make bigger cases if not making bigger lugs
The Submariner is a tool watch for sure but it's not a hammer or a wrench and larger lugs don't do a thing to facilitate its intended job. It's a tool to dive with recreationally and professionally. Both the old and new Subs do that just as designed. the original Submariner has served well for over 6o years and has even been an issue item for British SBS units for a time and used by other SF teams as well.

Where I think the new Subs lose points is its weight, with the heavier lugs and solid links its noticeably heavier then the older version, heavier then it needs to be. Secondly the ceramic bezel while beautiful will shatter like glass if dropped, It's not forgiving at all, tools aren't supposed to shatter. The older models bezel will dent but continue to work as designed. The price of ceramic bezel replacement is quite high also, even by Rolexes standard.

Many believe that the sole reason for the larger case and lugs Subs is Rolex jumped on the larger is better watch craze that started some years, I think that's the case as well, thankfully they didn't go over the top and only bumped size and weight marginally but still quite noticeable with the extra heft.
I would take either one in a minute but given the choice between the two I bought a new 14060m for the reasons I mentioned.

Last edited by N54Yankee; 01-03-2019 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0