View Single Post
      12-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #26
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Great review, and though I've said it before, I'll say it again, the G20 is a very definite improvement on the F30.

As someone has said, they've systematically looked at what's let the F30 down and gone and sorted it- handles much better as standard, has the refinement you'd expect from the class, and the ride is very decent.

Looks are very subjective of course, but after a few weeks of having one it just looks like a modern 3 series should.

I have to admit I wasn't at all impressed with the idea of the new digital dash layout, and expected to miss traditional dials. But I have to eat my words on that. Took about a day and one long drive and I'm sold on it. It's slightly different on the 330e as unless you're in sport mode it doesn't show the engine lower as a rev counter, butler a reflection on how much power you're using, and especially where the engine will come in to augment electrical power. Sounds odd but its actually very logical for a genuine hybrid power train.
Overall however it displays a lot of information that I find nice to see at a glance- less scrolling through the OBC displays for example. It also makes good use of being digital to subtly highlight when you're speeding (making better use of the SLD info). Of course, none of it's strictly necessary, but I think if you're going to fit a digital display then might as well explore what it can do differently and perhaps better. What's also good is the largish central area which you can configure to your preference. Very handy to see the shape of road ahead very clearly when out on a blast for example.
The reality is many of us will also have the HUD, which is also much larger and more useful than before, and so actually you don't even use the instrument cluster all that much.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 2
JNW13122.00
DaveH28287.00