09-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #50
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
It’s a referendum on accepting the deal on offer, or Remaining
Appreciate you like the idea of another referendum but even if we had one and the vote went your way what proportion of the UK population do you think genuinely believes in the EU vision of an ever greater political union, etc?

Even in the 2016 referendum I'd venture to suggest a lot of those who voted Remain did so more because they were concerned about the potential economic impact of leaving rather being pro-EU (and I understand that completely as I was very close to being in that category myself). However, if we had another referendum - and sufficient people switched from Leave to Remain to change the result - do you think those people would be changing their minds because they'd suddenly become pro-EU or because they'd decided the economic risks of leaving weren't worth it? Very likely the latter IMO which is hardly a ringing endorsement of the EU and all it stands for; we'd be staying in because it was expedient, not because most of the UK population support the EU (they clearly don't and a further referendum which produced a Remain vote wouldn't change that in my view).

Obviously pro-EU Remainers wouldn't care about the reasons why they won just so long as they did but from an EU perspective why would you want a member of your club who clearly doesn't believe in or share your vision? Guess the answer is that member is a big net contributor to the club's budget and that's reason enough to want to keep them....
Appreciate 2
LobB5109.00
JD64270.50