Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdlaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
My F30 328i had been problem free since I took delivery of it in April 2012. Never had a problem and was always properly serviced and well-maintained.

Suddenly, I get a low oil pressure warning and the car went into limp mode. I pulled over and had it towed to the local BMW service center. They weren't able to get the engine started and I was told that I was lucky the car went into limp mode because that would prevent further engine damage.

The next day I was told they were able to get the engine turned over but that it was making strange noises indicating a timing issue and that they would need to inspect the valves. Later that day I get a call saying the camshaft was snapped and there was metal and plastic all over the engine and that it would need to be replaced. They're not sure what caused this. But I was quoted a price of over $20,000 for parts and labor to repair it.

Has anyone had something similar happen? Needless to say I am shocked that my well-maintained car essentially exploded on me without warning.
My 2015 328i xDrive had a little over 70,000 miles when I got a warning "Drivetrain Malfunction" and the car went into limp mode. I had it towed to the BMW dealer nearby and after inspection it was determined that the turbo charger had failed resulting in a total engine failure due to excessive oil leak and metal debris in the engine oil. The warranty had expired, but BMW agreed to pay for 40% of the parts. The turbo charger and engine were replaced for a total out of pocket cost of $12,500. The repairs and replacement took about 6 weeks and luckily I was provided loaner BMWs during that time. So with the new turbo charger and engine, the car is brand new.
Read many of cases where the turbo failed but did not destroy the engine. Wondering what makes this instance different?
Appreciate 0