drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by walile View Post
Incorrect.

AWD will reduce the chance of hydroplaning in this scenario. Power is distributed between both axles, so the rear wheels are less likely skid under power.

The xDrive performs better in low traction conditions, there really isn't much room to debate on that.

Torque vectoring can help with the steering and handling characteristics of a vehicle, mostly notable being the ability reduce understeer. But since power is only distributed between the two rear wheels. It simply is not as effective as AWD in providing extra traction in low friction conditions.

While the F30 does not have torque vectoring, which is a huge disappointment to me. It does proactively shift power distribution from 40:60 (f/r) to 20:80 (f/4) during corning. So, it's not going understeer like a traditional AWD system.
I'm no expert on hydroplaning, but I'd assume putting *any* power to the front wheels will reduce the ability to control the vehicle, since you are lowering available lateral tractive force.

Regardless, the way the vehicle will deal with this is with the stability control system which will attempt to brake certain wheels. The drivetrain will not be responsible for redistributing force to counter the loss of yaw control. In either case the best thing you can do to prevent/recover is to not apply any throttle at all.

The F30 definitely will torque vector, just with the brakes rather than drivetrain. Not great in a racing situation, but in terms of safety you don't really lose anything.