Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
2 questions:

1) will the M performance brakes perform any better than the M sport brakes? I assume less fade b/c cross drilled/slotted, but what about stopping distances or significant weight reduction?

2) If an M performance power pack is coming soon for the n55, then I'm confused about the supposed ///M335i. I mean what's the purpose of these little dealer-installed tunes when there's bigger factory fish on the horizon (///M335i or ///M3)?
Bigger brakes will almost never make the car stop in a shorter distance. The brake disc and caliper are primarily heatsinks to draw heat away from the pads which will fade if they get too hot. Bigger brakes mean more area for this heat to be drawn away and dissipated, but even the smallest single piston brakes could easily lock up your tires. Your tires are almost always the limiting factor when it comes to stopping distances.

For the people hoping for a brake upgrade on the E9x M3, I see where you're coming from but you're barking up the wrong tree. The best thing you can do is get the M3 GT4 brake cooling ducts, the main reason the M3's brakes get hot so quickly is because it does not come standard with brake cooling ducts. Getting bigger brakes will barely make a difference without proper airflow.
Appreciate 0