View Single Post
      03-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #19
RJH
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegill View Post
I live in Vancouver where we don't get as much snow, and I regret getting an x-drive. If I could go back, I would get a RWD and just throw on winter tires when it gets cold. However, with the amount of snow you guys get in the east, x-drive is probably a lot more important. If you plan on lowering, x-drive has less options as well.

If you do get x-drive, just make sure you get the adaptive suspension, as the standard one I feel is way too soft and has too much body roll in corners.
I'm another crazy Canuck, living in Toronto but often heading north to cottage-country and god's-country (Sudbury area) regularly, but I still regret buying X-drive. Sure it's better in the snow, but anyone with half a brain can in drive in the snow and if you're still challenged, mount a set of snow-tire training wheels to get 5-10% better stopping distance (assuming you have all-season and not summer tires).
RWD on the other hand is a lot more fun; but the downside is it may actually require driving skill.
The only reason I caved on the x-drive was because dealer claimed a 6mth wait for RWD 328 + special order$, and he didn't believe he could even get one with manual. My wife, who never drives the car anyway and can't put air in her tires, got sold big time by salesman's pitch. So now I drive a nice but boring car - AWD and auto.
My suggestion, save the cost of AWD, get a stick and use money on a BMW driving course. And just stay home for the 1-2 days you get 30 CM (12"ish) snow. Or save you money and buy an automotive appliance like Toyota Camry
Appreciate 1