View Single Post
      01-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #13
PappyVR4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
I've heard that xDrive isn't a "pure" BMW driving experience...I know that the extra driving wheels can rob a wee bit of power from the engine...little bit less fuel efficient...yet looking at the raw numbers for the 435i, the xDrive is 0.3 seconds faster 0-60. An AWD Subaru WRX has a 5.0 second 0-60 right alongside the RWD 435i, but with 32 less hp. So it seems to me that the AWD can help make a car quicker no?

Personally, while I've driven 435i's, 428i's, 335i's, and now a Subaru WRX...I've never driven a 435i xDrive...or any xDrive BMW for that matter. Time for a test drive perhaps? For those who own an xDrive...does it feel like less of a driving experience than a RWD? I mean I'm guessing most of you with xDrives bought them because you live somewhere with poor weather conditions for a significant chunk of the year, but still...do you think it detracts at all from your fun factor? Or does it add to it?
The reason RWD is the better driver's car and more of a true "pure" BMW driving experience is not because of 0-60 or other power metrics. It's because RWD has better and more nimble handling. It's biased more towards oversteer than understeer. And this RWD benefit isn't even getting into the stock suspension differences.

That said, BMW does a mighty fine job with the xdrive and xdrive feels closer to true RWD than many AWD cars offered by other makes. Even against other "rear bias" AWDs. I've been very please with every xdrive loaner the I've had. I've pushed them in the corners and the turn-in was wonderful.
Appreciate 0