tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
A4 quattro models are longitudinal engine setups (same as bmw) and torsen awd. All four wheels are always powered in the audi vs on the bmw defaulting to RWD until it senses a slip. Quattro feels way more planted for me while xdrive is a bit more fun. On an unplowed road with nannies off the audi will tend to drift if I crank the steering wheel and stomp the gas while the bmw will want to turn the tail around. That being said both cars driven sensibly are very safe and get you through pretty much anything.
xDrive powers all four wheels all the time. It splits power/torque 40:60 in normal operating conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I live in Alaska, so I get the ability to drive it on glare-ice, wet snow, packed snow, freezing rain, etc. In subaru's system, all wheels turn, all the time, at least that's what it feels like. I also drive several AWD vehicles at work. I generally don't find the Xdrive to be better than anything there. I did have a mercedes 4Matic from 2004-5 a few years back, that was significantly better and more balanced than my current X-drive. Much more neutral handling, felt like much more even torque distribution all the time, much closer to Subaru.
Fine. Regardless, as stated above, xDrive powers all four wheels all of the time with a 40:60 power split until xDrive senses the need to shift the power around, based on road conditions.
Appreciate 0