View Single Post
      01-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #58
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Active Hybrid 3

I am lucky to own a clean turbo-diesel car as well an Active Hybrid 3. Clean turbo-diesel engines are great but are not the 'better' technology. Each technology performs better under different scenarios. There is a broad consensus by non AH3 owners that the AH3 was created to be much more fuel efficient than the 335i which is incorrect.

The AH3 is a premium low volume BMW which uses a LION battery to use regenerative energy to improve economy in congested / urban traffic, augment power during high demand acceleration, and produce less CO2 while still being a 335i. It was not designed to save money thus the price premium. It is not the best technology in all conditions as well. You will soon see the learnings from the AH3 introduced in the BMW i cars and other BMW smaller cars.

Observations
I've had my 2011 335d for almost half a year and I have yet to get below 28 mpg in city driving That's incredible, your mpg is better than many lighter 4 cylinder clean diesels in the US market

On the freeway I get 34-35 mpg while averaging 80-90 mph on long drives that include low mountain passes Excellent, at those speeds my diesel MPG drops, I find the sweet spot between 60-65 MPH

My 335d (sport, premium and winter packages) allows me to shrink my carbon footprint to smaller than that of a 3-series hybrid driver's BMW AH3 CO2 emissions 139 g/km. BMW 335d CO2 emissions 177 g/km

I considered the 335d when introduced but chose not to take one home (great midrange acceleration but poorer off-line acceleration and top-end performance) because fuel savings was not at the top of my list.

With 30K mikes of clean diesel experience (without the need for the urea SCR treatment) I can say that the upcoming clean diesel 4 cylinder BMW with urea SCR will be a great car for those seeking better fuel economy.

The 335d is a great car and hope you continue to enjoy the journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichler1 View Post
I'm glad that you all are enjoying your hybrids but I cannot understand why, when what still is a better technology is available (new-used) and per reports will soon again be available: clean turbo-diesel.

Last edited by MotoEV; 01-11-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0