First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335terp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
Great. Ya the oil change intervals are quite lengthy, and thanks for answering, because it does give that correlation between long oil change intervals and the whine.

Just so that you know, you are legally covered and will be paid by BMW at 75%. It has been settled. You would need to pay the other 25%. You just need to follow BMW requirements and they will reimburse, assuming that your year and model is included.

The whine is all you need and is the only metric used to determine the issue. There is no need to inspect it under the valve cover first. When doing the procedure, the valve cover and oil pan are removed as part of the process so no need to pay extra. With this procedure, you can pretty much see everything in the engine without paying extras for removing things. If they are charging you for that, then they are ripping you off.

Personally, I would definitely not drive it at all until the chain is changed, unless you are okay with possibly having to get a new engine. The whine is there, so if you continue to drive it, your putting the engine at quite a significant risk. I would consider a tow truck for moving it around. Just a heads up.
Wow, 75% that's not bad at all! Is there a link to something in writing that I can use as ammunition to this? The dealer(s) did not say anything about the lawsuit being settled.. they basically just said that they had to diagnose it first as proof of the whine, then I could call BMW NA.

I also was strongly considering the tow trucks, I haven't driven the car for 2 days but drove it for almost 7 days with the whine. Even if I were to drive it, isn't there some kind of warning that happens when the oil pump fails? giving me time to just pull over and shut it off? I should probably just not risk it.

I'm aware the valve cover is not needed to inspect the issue, I was just curious about that because of the long oil change intervals. Well, this is looking pretty promising. I'll be making my phone calls at open of offices tomorrow!
Ya it is has been signed as a preliminary settlement and will become official as part of the process probably in February. Until then, BMW will act as if nothing happened or this doesn't even exist, and they have no legal obligation to pay until February. However, just keep your receipts and you can then submit it when the settlement is official. Again this is legally binding for BMW and those who choose to remain apart of the class action. So no need for arguments if you want to wait and accept the 75%. You could still argue for 100%, but once official, if you don't opt out of the settlement, then you are also bound by its terms, and there is no opportunity to argue.

If the low oil pressure light comes on, it's typically already finished at that point, or some damage has been done. That light means the chain has come apart, and there's fragments that have gone into the oil that will be blocking the intake or just generally be contaminating the oil depending on which chain came apart. If the primary chain comes apart, then the timing will also be off which of course causes many irreversible/expensive problems.

There is a lot of info here both on the issue and settlement: Another F30 N20 Blown Motor Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614899