11-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #275
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Dot View Post
Jonny Leiberman (the vilified moron or vaunted expert in the original video) also did a test (and video) comparing the 328i to the ATS turbo. The 328i won that test.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tq__8kTTbBA

Article:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...o/viewall.html

So regardless of what you think about the 3 series being sporty enough, even "that journalist" doesn't necessarily "think otherwise".

From the beginning of the video, and the article:

They felt the test was incomplete because the ATS was excluded, hence this test. Which the BMW also won. Making it the the best sports sedan in this segment, according to MotorTrend (in the smaller engine segment at least, if one were to pick nits).

Sooooo..... I guessssssss........ Sorry, what were you saying?

Other tests (Road and Track, etc) call it in favour of the BMW.

Finding a voice on one side or the other is not difficult. There is no consensus here.

The ATS may be the best competition. I already lauded it's achievement in the fourth reply in this thread.
Here, from the first review you've linked:

Quote:
Traditionally, one of the 3 Series' highlights has been its sharp, balanced handling and less compromised attitude. Ironically, it's here that the BMW is let down. (...) The ride quality remains relatively supple; the downside is that the BMW has a slightly rubber sensation in relation to the ATS. Every input seems to be damped slightly; every corner entry just a hair slower; every sensation just that much more muted. Take the same turn in the ATS and initial understeer is more abrupt, with more marked transitions to neutral, then slight oversteer under throttle provocation. But the inputs are sharper and the response is quicker. The steering has a directness that reminds us of the E46 3 Series, not the current car. We mean that in a good way. More than that, the chassis feels more responsive, firmer, tauter. The Caddy's engine feels punchier mid-range, and while the engine note isn't what you'd call melodic, it's a little louder and rawer. If the BMW is the Beatles, the Cadillac is the Rolling Stones. There's that much more aggression and drive to the ATS; that uncompromised driving experience that sadly no longer exists in the 3 Series. Drive the Bimmer without driving the Caddy and you may not even notice, but driven back to back, the difference is marked.
So like I was saying... reviews won by the bimmer recently have been despite the lack of sportiness, and basically due to the refinement of the drivetrain and the car in general. Traditional BMW qualities have been severely diluted, and the problem shows up when you compare it to certain other cars in the segment, which have caught up and even surpassed it on that front.

Here is the kicker: I didn't listen to any of these reviews, I mean how can you buy a car without driving it. I went and drove it. And it just so happens I agree 100% with the quote above.

But you go ahead and believe what you want. It's your money, not mine.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0