lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Moved from 5GT to 3GT

I got my new 335d GT M Sport in April which replaced my 535d GT M Sport (2012) - so just picking up on the question of whether you'd bother considering the 5 GT now...

I can confirm that it has the same (if not slightly more) space in the boot. I'm finding that loads where I would have had to move the seats forward in the 5GT fit in just fine. My teenage sons both reckon they have similar legroom and all that in a car that is a foot shorter! Really is impressive.

The only downside compared with the 5 is the rear is not quite as comfortable (rear bench seat rather than more sculpted seats, no 4 zone climate control and less headroom). You'd probably need to watch the rear headroom if you went for the sunroof - the 5 had this as standard and still had lots of room - but the 3 GT is definitely more compromised if you are transporting above average height people - so I didn't tick the sunroof box.

In my view there is no real difference in the front comfort-wise when compared to the 5 GT.

I was quite happy with the handling of the 5GT (it was never going to compare with the 335d saloon I had before) and the 35d gave it the necessary power but in 3GT guise with slightly re-worked engine plus 8 speed and much less weight the performance is great - can vouch for 0-62 in 4.9 secs and I'm getting over 40mpg (UK) - I was getting 35mpg in the 5GT. The xDrive will be a bonus too as I can't get out of my road on summer tyres if there is a dusting of snow.

On the looks front my 5GT was in Carbon Black with 20" wheels so I only ever noticed approving looks but the 3 looks much better (in Estoril Blue/19" wheels)...

So I'm really pleased with the change - no regrets at all...
Appreciate 0