11-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #80
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstein View Post
Except that there is a 70mph speed limit in place and they're enforcing it everywhere there are smart motorways. My regular trips (M3, M4, M25, M42, M6) all feature this delightful innovation. They're hard to spot in places too, they've added the new (yellow) camera's on the left of the gantries out of line of site, and often hidden by overhanging trees etc..
Fucking hell, do 5 series not come with cruise control then ?

Tight bastards at BMW these days, putting that on the options list.

---------------------------

In all seriousness, set your cruise control at 75-78 on motorways. It's far less stressful driving that way, you get to your destination only marginally later, and you're far less tired doing so.

I used to drive on the motorways at 90-100, all the time. Then one day I tried sticking just over the limit on the speedo (so probably doing a real 68-70). I got to my destination 70 miles away (most of the journey was on motorway) a few minutes later than normal, but zero stress level, not continually scanning the bridges for cars or vans, not wondering if the black Mondeo was a police car ... just relaxing, and enjoying the drive.

I'm no angel. I'll readily admit, I occasionally speed on 'normal' A roads - that I know very well (including where the camera vans can park up). But in restricted areas, or on dual carriageways or motorways, I won't even consider it. One set the potential consequences don't bear thinking about, the other set there is too much enforcement to risk it.
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50