12-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #37
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 + 2015 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney921 View Post
VSS is speed sensitive, so maybe its cruising assistance (20+ mph) is a factor? 150 deg of steering wheel movement is a pretty big input. Just mothballing ideas...

For diagnosis, you could go to a large, completely deserted parking lot and recreate the problem. When the steering binds just keep the wheel where it is and come to a stop. Then take a look at the suspension/steering components for any issues.
I have been to a parking lot to really recreate it. Making lefts I can flip the wheel 180 at 20mph and start to get the tires to screech like I'm trying to do some autoX, but making rights it hits barrier at about 150degrees, just before tires will start to screech. I don't believe it has anything to do with VSS, although I'm a novice at how it works.

I just know it is a damn near hard stop when it hits the point I'm speaking of. You can only pass that point by letting up a bit and reducing steering input and speed then it will let you tuck it past 150 degrees. Once you get past that point you can speed up until it starts screeching tires, but it actually has trouble unwinding back past the 150 degree point until slowing down and unloading the suspension a bit. It's like there is a point in which a certain amount of suspension compression on tight right turns has some interference. I'd make a video of it, but I'd need someone with some steady hands to record it as I toss the car about in a parking lot.

I can put the car on jack stands and look, but I'm not super knowledgeable about the workings of suspensions and steering. It's happened enough I know the wheel position it happens and can turn to that on jackstands. I could try and put the jack under the left front (likely where it's happening since that side is compressed on right-handers to re-create some compression. I only know enough to manage changing springs on my own (with guides) so my chance of knowing what to look for is near zero. There is absolutely no issue with steering at low speeds and at a stop. It's only once you pass about 15-20mph and throw a bit of steering angle at it. If you tried to autoX my car, you'd fail miserably at right-handers due to this issue. I've been living with it for several thousand miles because it's not very often you need that much steering input at that kind of speed on the street. Turning into my neighborhood off a 45mph street is when I notice it the most. If I only slow down to about 20mph before starting to make my turn, it will hit the bind point. Slowing down to 15mph or so before making the turn requires less steering angle and or too slow/not enough compression to cause the issue.