johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocosine View Post
Hey all, i've been doing immense research and reading a lot of posts in regards to wheel setup in anticipation for upcoming track day at Thunderhill in 2 weeks. This will be my absolute first time at a track and I'll be running with the novice group with an instructor. I'm in a bit of a dilemma and wondering how safe/ideal it would be to run staggered 403m w/ RFT? (Eagle F1 with < 10k miles, BUT they have a slight tire bulge when warmed up lol).

Since it is my first time is it okay to run staggered? would it be worth going to non RFT in any case for handling and safety since one of my tires are slightly bulging?
OR
Should i swallow the up front cost and find a square setup since i may go more frequently down the line?

I don't think I will be able to get the setup i want (apex 18x8.5 ec7 or sm-10) in time with rubber on them before the 14th. I could also just do a ride along but thats no fun. What are my options here?

edit: Just noticed this post should have probably been in the wheel and tire section. Apologies!
The issues have already been discussed in this thread. I just wanted to add to the conversation.

At one time I had a bulge in a runflat sidewall from hitting a pothole (that a normal tire would have handled without issue). Many people including some mechanics told me that it wasn't bad. They said to just keep an eye on it and replace it if/when the bulge got a lot bigger.

But a buddy who is BMW dealer mechanic told me to replace a bulged runflat right away. He said that he has seen bulged runflat tires hit another pothole and come apart. He said that at speed the stiff material in the runflat sidewall (maybe it's Kevlar or something similar?) does incredible damage to the metal suspension components and plastic liners. He said that he's had to replace just about everything in the wheel well.

Just a heads up.
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5886.00