View Single Post
      02-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #45
thegump
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Wild! Crazy to hear of another that's effectively identical. Ours let loose at like 38k? It was discovered when my wife was backing out of the driveway to go pick up groceries. When she got back she had said that "something didn't feel right." I hopped in for a quick run around the neighborhood to see what was going on and realized immediately. It was as if the center differential was locked when turning in the cul-de-sac. Tried turning the terrain selection knob thinking something got bumped and then it just locked me out. Had to tow from there. The dealer showed me the cracked open case and could see that lots let loose.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on the GX. Those have also been on my radar - just a fancy Land Cruiser Prado which is fine by me. Do you find it to be more refined and more options than that of the 4Runner? I'd venture to say no seeing your comment of it being from a different era
The dealer said they'd never seen so many codes and just started replacing stuff. Their diagnosis was a faulty transfer case. Certainly didn't instill any confidence that it'd take us the places we wanted to go. And like I said, blessed it happened before our trip because we we went out about 20 miles out of cell service on forest roads in 17° weather.

A GX is just a posh version of a 4runner (and Prado in other markets). Same frame, mostly same suspension with keyless, V8, quiet, tri-climate, etc. It's dated compared to most cars out there when you look at infotainment and interior design but we quickly got over it-as in the second we drove off the lot.. Go test drive one, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised just don't expect good mpg's! We like ours so much were tempted to go trade it in on a new one

I recommend the premium or luxury trims since those have captains chairs. All gx460s have third row and I'll warn that cargo space is useless with it up.
Appreciate 2