View Single Post
      09-22-2020, 06:04 AM   #19
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

Update - car is no longer smoking. FIXED

Fixed with the upgraded pipe that has the check valve.

For anyone considering the work, if you're handy with a ratchet and have a good set of ramps that allow access down to the Cat you'll be fine.

I bought a turbo gasket kit which came with a new drain pipe, v clamps etc, but only used the graphite sealing rings, cat gasket, o rings and drain pipe gasket.

Graphite gasket rings are easy to change, I used a flat head screw driver and worked my way round one slowly lifting it until it came off. Then pushed a new seal on with equal pressure side by side until flush.

The car was up at an angle so I left the oil in, I drained the coolant originally from the coolant feed/return pipes, then did a full drain using the water pump and radiator hose. It would have been less messy to use the radiator and pump hose - so do this. Filling is easy, just pour mixed 50/50 bmw coolant in though expansion tank and then open bleed screws one by one as per bmw Newtis.Info.

As mine is the 320i I have the vacuum actuator, I removed this as per the manual, but the clotter pin is a pain to put back in, make sure you can see the hole on the wastegate arm then use force to push it up. I used pliers to pull it off and down. One bolt on the actuator chewed, but managed to hammer a larger torx into it, then replace with a standard 10mm bolt.

I had the pleasure of the steering column next to the turbo, I left this in place as there was still enough access with the right sockets and tools.

You will need two people for bringing the turbo in and out and for putting the cat back.

Turbo needs the coolant pipes moved over the compressor housing and back over on fitting.

Cat needs someone to align the cat to the turbo OJ fitting while the v clamp goes on and the cat bracket is tightened up.

This is probably most useful to the non US market as they were lucky enough to have recalls. Good luck
Appreciate 0