captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_blue View Post
I was actually thinking today that they need a complete suspension remake....blaming the tires is fine...but I think they really need to rework the whole shebang....it sucks over rough spots in curves....my e46 handled way better. Pisses me off a little bit.
If you want a smooth ride buy a Lexus or a Buick.

OK now that we have taken care of the inevitable response to this post here is my opinion.

+1
There is a lot of room for improvement in the suspension design. The 3 series, particularly with the sport package, leaves a lot of room for improvent when it comes to handling bad surfaces. My wife's Jag XKR Coupe is a lot better at handling poor surfaces and is as fast as my 335i on the twisties. There is a post on this forum that shows that the XKR convertivle was 3 tenths of a second slower around a track than an M3 convertible and faster than a 335i coupe. This says to me that handling and comfort are not mutually exclusive. It would be great if BMW could keep the driving dymanmics but improve the performance on bad road surfacees.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0