View Single Post
      11-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #45
brian99997
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic View Post
I understand. I come from the Evo community where we usually get custom tunes done on the dyno or street. These tunes can be used for a wide variety of driving situations.

I'm glad BMS offers this piggyback from road or 1/4 mile use as you said. If BMS cracks the factory ECU and starts custom tuning that would be awesome!

Regarding the lean areas you see, isn't this potentially dangerous for the engine if these areas are too lean? I'm going to be running an aFe cold air intake with aFe intake scoop so won't that cause more lean conditions? I will be using 93 octane since I'm in Ohio.
It depends on what you consider unsafe. I personally don't have telemetry in my BMW because it isn't a race car and I hate seeing gauges so EGT is completely unknown at any given time so it could be really cool outside with super dense air going through almost no filter giving you great power but knock will crack a ring land or worse if it's unchecked although you have the benefit of 93 and while I think BMS was looking for power, I am almost sure they would have tuned to be safe with 91 with some margin.

If it helps for reference, the newest 911 turbo runs under 11.5-12:1 for most of the pull and while not optimal for power.. they do fairly well as far as longevity goes.

aFe posted this dyno pull of their intake vs stock, and their tuner + intake vs stock. Basically the intake alone left it super rich so you should be good. I'm almost sure I remember seeing a graph of BMS + aFe intake + downpipe somewhere but I can't find it now although I remember it was quite legendary.

http://afepower.com/catalog/77-46303...46303F1600.jpg
Appreciate 1