01-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #10
jss12636
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldor27 View Post
Welcome to the n20/n26 world! Id have a post purchase inspection done at your local bmw dealership or a trusted indy shop do one. The timing chains and guides have plagued these engines well into the 2014 model year. The chains and guides like to give out in the higher mileage 60k+ miles. 2015 is when they had a revised timing chain and guides installed to the x28i BMW vehicles. Besides that, there is a tendency for a turbo oil line to leak and have white smoke on cold start ups. Besides that, have at it with the tuning and be careful because there is a power ceiling of around 300-350 hp/tq where these engines like to crap out. Catless downpipes (VRSF) with an O2 spacer add nice sound and not too much smell while keeping the CEL from coming on. Air intakes from Injen produces much spooling noises from the turbo (Not so much performance gains but turbo noises are worth it).

-Aldo

Thank you, thank you. I think the plan at the moment is to knock out some preventative maintenance out of the way and then lets see if I can avoid the mod bug. As silly as it may sound, I'd like to tackle the halogen headlights prior to some performance stuff. Coming from a big ol SUV it certainly feels peppy enough- not that Atlanta traffic allows me any chance to open it up anyway! haha