10-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #10
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyj711 View Post
"Decon" washes don't strip wax/sealant as all they do is add residue on top. Tests have been conducted where water stopped beading on a previously sealed car after a decon wash, which would lead you to believe the sealant was removed, but the beading returned after decontaminating the surface and removing the decon soap's residue. In my opinion, there's no reason to buy special decon soaps, and cheap soaps like dawn are too harsh on trim.

There's no need to clay this car since it was polished and decontaminated recently. Claying does not remove sealant, and it would just be an extra, time-consuming step.

Personally, I would wash the car normally with whatever soap you have on hand, not a decon soap, and do an IPA wipe down per my previous post. While it won't remove freshly applied sealant, it will have a weakening effect. IPA will most definitely remove sealant that's been on the car for several months. Furthermore, wiping the car down with IPA or some other prep solution allows you to wipe dust off the car prior to polishing without excessive marring.

With all that said, you can go straight from wash to polishing if you choose. The IPA wipe could be an extra step that may not be worth your time.
Interesting.

Do you have links for these tests?
Appreciate 0