View Single Post
      10-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #6
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

My Impreza hasn't seen a garage in 7 years other than to my mate for an MOT every year. I dread to think how much this would have cost in garage bills as I've done a huge amount of stuff with it. That said it has also seen significant modification too, all of which has been by myself (including paint). I have no intention of selling this, ever, and therefore it's not about money but instead knowing the job's been done right.

The previous main car was an Octavia vRS mk1 which I bought at 50k miles and ran to 150k miles. I could have given that car away when I sold it and still have saved money over paying a garage to maintain it.

With the BMW I want a simple life. I have so much stuff going on, the Impreza is now a (rough around the edges) pampered garage queen and thus no daily, and I just want a reliable car. So I've committed to the extortionate service plan (£350+ for a fricking oil change?!) and paid for a BMW warranty. It's not exactly cheap and over 5 years I would probably be better self servicing and putting the money into savings in case of a big bang, but it's just easy this way. And for that it's worth it at with where I am in life.

For every car I have a folder with all the receipts, notes and dates+mileages for everything done. That definitely helped when selling the Octavia. If someone has done a single oil change out of cheapness and only kept it for a year then that's a bit dubious but if you've done 100k miles and had 5 years out of it, all with self servicing, then the chances are you've done a proper job.
Appreciate 0