View Single Post
      10-26-2020, 05:05 AM   #11
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Idrive is easy to update however there are a few caveats

When the car is serviced at BMW or an indy with the subscription to use their system, they will update the service details on the BMW system. The idrive will then be wiped and reloaded with whatever is on the central system. Therefore any changes made 'locally' will be lost and have to be re-added.

I have the utility to do this on my laptop so if anyone wants it done I can help (needs an ethernet cable, same as you'd use with esys)

I had all my own services loaded on the idrive of my old 3 series (I had receipts to back it all up if required), the salesman looked at these when I was trading in at a BMW dealer but nothing was mentioned and to be honest I'd think that once the car is more than a few years old it would make no difference if it was DIY or non main dealer. certainly the likes of WBAC wouldn't care less

The main advantage of dealer service in the early years is to ensure anything warranty related is done and also to ensure software updates are done when required.

But with an oil change costing well north of £200 that you can do yourself using the correct oil and a genuine filter for £50 and 30 minutes I would always rather so the servicing myself. But I don't mind (even enjoy) working on my car and am also very tight.
Appreciate 0