View Single Post
      10-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #21
john76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 F31 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
DIY it. 100%. Unless you have a really trusted independent who you've worked with for many years, and don't enjoy spending some time with the car. If you do, and it sounds like you do as you've said you have serviced your previous cars, then all service aspects of the F3x are really straightforward and easy to do.
And as others have said above, knowing you've done it by the book and that it's been done correctly with everything torqued properly....i wouldn't have it any other way.
I too would prefer a 10 year old car that had been DIY maintained than something sat on the forecourt with 'full dealer service history'.
also i cannot believe people are happy to spend £500 changing front discs and pads.

my hot tips for DIY...
- definitely get ISTA - that'll tell you the service schedules and all the technical workshop manual needed to service any aspect of the car, and what everything needs torquing back to. I'd be surprised if the schedules are much different across the range, petrol vs diesel aside. I'll do an oil service every 10k/1 yr, brake fluid, every 20k/2 yr, air filter cabin filter spark plugs every 40k/4 yr, ZF transmisson oil every 60k. Pads/discs as and when.

Can download it via bimmerfest (google 'beginners guide ISTA bimmerfest).
unfortunately the free web version newtis got taken down by BMW. Ba*tards.

- the central jack points front and rear are rather deep in the car, so unless you spend £400+ on those really loooooong jacks, just get some plastic ramps first then you have the room to put a normal jack underneath. Still helps to find the longest and lowest jack you can - Halfords 3 tonne low profile was by far the best for the money. Long and girthy with enough height to easily raise high enough for axle stands.

- for brake fluid you need a pressure bleeder kit to make life easy, sealey vs820 worked perfectly for me.

- just keep a spreadsheet and document everything if you're worried about future resale.

- sometimes the dealers will have oil change offers on for £120 and at that price you're only paying maybe £30 for labour. But hey...thats £30 saved to spend on a takeaway (for me anyway)
Thanks for excellent input everyone!

Getting ISTA sounds essential so I'll do that!

I reckon I'll crack on and service it myself... I have a 320d and 118d, both approaching 3 years old so I reckon I'll save a decent amount servicing them both once they're out of warranty.

Glad to see that people are doing it themselves.

Final question... I assume the condition based servicing indicator all still works OK if I service it myself, as long as I reset it when the car is serviced?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0