View Single Post
      07-17-2018, 09:42 PM   #1492
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
  1. Yup. Even custom turbos EWG works well with OTS. That's the beauty of the Electronic actuator when properly calibrated to stock routines
  2. Actually.... if a tuner has had properly developed maps for a PS2 PWG car.... it's trivial to dial in boost control for PWG.
  3. I feel lag is a bit subjective and it is entirely based on the tune as well. It's very possible to gain 1-300rpm of "spool" with proper tuning. While I haven't driven a PS2 PWG car personally... my EWG M2 seems to spool best around 3K rpm as well. I'm not a fan of mashing it down low in all honesty so if turbo can hit peak spool in about 200-500rpm depending on which gear that's perfect for me.
Joe, thanks for the input. I agree but want to add:

1) Lag is a perception but there is no denying of its existence. I know many cannot live with A45 AMG sluggishness while the other feel no lag at all. However, to put things in the context, we did back to back log testing of stock turbo and PS2. With same car, same map, same fuel, same hardware, same testing condition or same everything except for turbo, there is a 800-1000rpm spool delay with PS2 on 3rd gear, compared to stock turbo. And we certainly feel that 1k rpm power loss on the road, most of the time.

2) Tuning makes a difference. But no kidding, turbo is mechanically driven by exhaust gas momentum. Nobody half opens waste gate to slow it down when you're calling it out. Some map would progressively reduce duty circle when boost gets close to target, but that's about it. However, going from off boost, all maps do absolutely the same thing - spool up the stupid snail as quick as possible. That's why tuning will not make a laggy turbo feel any less laggy.

3) Turbo responsiveness and power band are two entirely different things.
It's a common mistake to think a quick spool = low end torque surge. Truth is, it's the down low target that dictates down low torque. And turbo responsiveness dictate how quick you get to that target.
Another common misunderstanding is downshifting to higher rpm makes instant power. Not remotely true. Turbo always needs time to spool up, only at a higher rpm it spools quicker, something you don't get to see from dyno chart.
Hence the bloody fact - in real world turbo responsiveness affects power delivery throughout the band.
Turbo engineering spares no effort to achieve zero response time to any pedal input like with NA - instantly power anywhere, and there is no torque surge anywhere.

Let's close the topic. PS2 is laggy but is powerful enough to justify the lag, in my opinion.

Last edited by SeanWRT; 07-17-2018 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 1