12-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
snipagang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeohedca View Post
About 9 months ago I retired my 2007 328i E90 (300k+ km) and bought a 2013 320i F30 with 90k km.
While I was in the process of shopping around for a replacement car at the end of last winter I did notice the rattle on several of the 320i's that I test drove but figured it was something normal and common to the N20 engine that would go away after the car warmed up. I went ahead and bought a 320i... the rattle persisted even thru the summer. Yes, mybad for dismissing it and now it annoys the f*%# out of me. A couple of people have asked me if it's a diesel engine.

I've been doing some reading and it seems to be one (or more ?) of 3 issues... they all claim that theirs was the real cause of the rattle.

1. A noisy injection pump solenoid on the fuel rail (worn or missing dampener on the rail?).
2. A worn linkage on the turbo wastegate actuator motor (replace the whole motor + linkage assembly).
3. A worn flapper disc (wastegate ?) inside the exhaust manifold (replace the manifold).

Anyone care to comment ? What was your fix ?

Thanks in advance.
Alex in Toronto
Thats just how this engine runs. Bought my 320i new in 2017 and it sounded like a diesel sort of since day 1.
Appreciate 0