View Single Post
      10-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #57
kppanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
You should have provided this information a while back. It shades a lot more color on why the 5 & 6 are possibly not combined, the difference in the starting price is almost 15k (ignoring engine size). We were looking for some plausible theory that would explain why the two were split.
But if you put yourself in the consumer's shoes (well, you're out on the market for that car segment) ---

Could you really see yourself cross shopping a 6- series with an E- coupe? Most likely not. There is way more distinction between 5- and 6- series than 3- to 4- series.

Even terms of lookwise, E- sedan and E- coupe essentially look the same (i.e. if my wife saw both cars, she would say "oh hey both are E- class). But if she was to be put on the same test with 5- and 6- series, she would say that they are two different cars (or at least lineages).

So the numbers in the OP took some assumptions, but not an unreasonable one at that. For the sake of statistics and the consumer wants, combining 3- and 4- series made total sense to me, as were the entire C- class lineup. A few months ago, as we all know, we would have bunched up 3- series sedans and coupes and have absolutely no problem with that.

Now, if MB came out with a D- series... They have A, B, C and E after all.
Appreciate 0