View Single Post
      09-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #16
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliCO View Post
In concept, it's an interesting post. I've spent _a lot_ of time in rented Hyundais myself, and I am generally impressed by the product they can roll out for the price they want.

But, in terms of fit, finish, and materials quality, I've only ever had to reach out and touch something in a Hyundai to immediately tell where they are saving some cost. It's not the obvious places, either - the dashboard plastics are right up there, for example. It's the stuff down by your leg, on the lower part of the door, or along the sides of the center console. Seatbacks. Plastic trim and switches in the headliner. Hyundai spends much less making all these things nice than BMW does.

I agree the exposed steel on the BMW is by design - BMWs have always been more "spartan" in their trim approach than other companies. Porsche is the same way. As long as it doesn't rust or rattle, it doesn't bug me.
I have a Hyundai. Hard plastic is hard plastic is hard plastic. BMW seat backs and other spots are as hard as plastic gets. Not any better than a Hyundai.
Appreciate 0