View Single Post
      02-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberle View Post
Thank you gents. I've been looking into tires as you suggested and the first roadblock I came across is that none of the shops here sell tires in the particular sizes of my 340i so I'd have to import them.

Would Michelin Super Sport be the best way to go, what are the alternatives?

In terms of spares, how would that be managed considering the front and back are different sizes? Carry two different spares in the back?

Are there any Run Flat alternatives that are better than the stock bridgestone Potenza's P001?

Roads here are pretty bad, and it's also a very dangerous (average murder rate 26 a day). From that point of view, (better) run flats are a very tempting alternative.

Thanks.-
I'm one of the few that is satisfied with runflats on our cars. I probably won't buy run flat replacements because of cost, but I'm not dying to replace them with non-runflats. so it's my opinion that there's nothing wrong with sticking with a run-flat summer tire so you don't have to worry about spares/flat tires.

Keep in mind that if you already have good summer tires (like S001's), that means you're probably good in the tire department. You won't get a whole lot better than the Potenzas, but the Michelin options may have a slight edge in performance. Just know it won't be a ground breaking difference in performance.

If you want a tire that nets a noticeable increase in performance, you'll need to upgrade to a 200tw tire but those won't be runflats.

Your best bet is aftermarket wheels so that you can run wider summer tires, especially up front. Upgrading to a 245 tire up front should give you a significant improvement in turning performance.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00