View Single Post
      10-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #161
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
You may have trying to make some point, but you derailed yourself, because you're now coming across negatively, and acting as if only you know what a real BMW 3 series owner is, and anyone who says that they enjoy their 3 series as a fun to driving sporty sedan should wake up and then move on, to some other car, I guess.

Again, you make stuff up and call it 'truth'.

No, by your own posts, you ARE an "elitist" as you think owning a luxury line BMW makes you special, because it's a "status symbol", and you enjoy flaunting it. If that is what makes you happy, fine, but many of us don't see it that way.

The base 3 has always had a nice comfortable ride, the F30 in base, luxury, and modern without a sport suspension is also a nice, soft riding, and soft handling car, just as base 3's before.
Is it a bit softer now? Yes, it is. If that's all it took for you to finally enjoy it, great. But don't lay your opinions onto everyone else as if we bought our sport/Msport BMW's to appeal to others for our own vanity.

Many of us bought our BMW's for what the offer in driving performance compared to other cars and brands. Not even once did it occur to me, "Yeah, I now have a car brand that others will envy me."

BTW, I think the WRX is a very fun to drive car, but it's design in and out doesn't appeal to me.
A few years back I nearly bought a Legacy GT B-spec. It was very fun to drive, and offered the same creature comforts of the then current 3 series. But, I couldn't get comfy in the seats, so it was a no go.

The 3 is also not a true luxury car. Besides, what is "luxury" in a car has become muddled over the past few years, when even "economy" cars cann be loaded with heated leather seats, NAV, higher quality audio systems, Blue Tooth connectivity, nicely designed and executed dash and guages, etc...
Before the 2013 model year, power seats weren't even standard, and a sunroof isn't even standard on a 328i, not to mention a base audio system that's still lacking, and an optional HK upgrade that doesn't perform as a well as a nearly $1000 upgrade should. "Luxury" indeed.

Those are items that are a given in a true luxury car.
The 3 can be optioned to have a greater amount of content to appeal to those who want more luxury, but in base form, it's no way near a "luxury" automobile. That's why it typically described as a "premium" automobile, and some times a "NEAR luxury" car.

Sumptuous leather? Not in your 3 series unless you special ordered leather that's different from what the rest of us get. It's decent leather, but perhaps you haven't sat on or felt a high quality leather seat, could be.

The 3 as "sport sedan". Oh, yes, it is. The 3 when optioned as such, is still a driving enthusiast car, that appeals to those of us who want a nicely styled, well engineered, fun to drive automobile, that also offers some nice creature comforts.
As I said, we're under no delusion that this is a 'track ready', dedicated sports car. I don't know who's been saying that around here, but if they did, then by all means they need perception correction. But you clump everyone together and then decide they're all wrong because you're right.

Yes, the F30 is a bit softer than before, and I do wish the sport suspension and adaptive were a bit firmer with better sway bars, but when you option the 3 with the sport items it becomes a better drivers car that does appeal to driving enthusiasts.
Nothing wrong with a non sport 3. If that's what you want, great, it's still a fine automobile. That however in no way means it's not now a 'sport sedan'.
Even in previous gen 3's, the versions that appeal to enthusiasts have always been the "sport" optioned 3's.

If BMW stops offering a sport package 3, I will no longer be driving a 3 series, simple as that. That has not happened, and thus no need for us to move along.

I think I've written more than enough/too much, so I will now sit down and shut up.
I'm sorry, but was I actually supposed to read that?

BJ
Appreciate 0