View Single Post
      02-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #31
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

The 320 is less boost friendly than the 328 as it has inferior pistons. It's not more boost friendly, they both have the same compression ratio. So your assertion that the 320 is more boost ready than the 328 is incorrect.

The 328 has smaller brakes than the 335 because it has less weight over the-nose. Larger brakes also cause an increase in unsprung weight. So just because the 328 has smaller brakes does not make them inferior to the 335. Compare stopping distances of same line, same tire cars and I am sure the 335 will not trounce the 328.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
Actually, my 335i Msport has a clickety clack kind of idle as well. I had to take a second listen to make sure I wasn't hearing anything odd. It's not as bad as the 4 cylinder clickety clack but more than what I was expecting. Brings me back to the days of tracking my E36M3 and having oil starvation and an oil pump not strong enough to keep the lifters from clacking.

As for the off topic subject, I thought the pricing difference of the 328 to 335 was around $3k for a similarly optioned 328 car. There are a couple of things that aren't available on the 328 like the brakes. I don't know if there are any other things.

Interesting enough, the EPA numbers for the 328 and 335 are the same. Based on the new 320 that just got released, it may not be as desireable to get the 328. There was talk that previous 328's were lower compression, low boost with more aftermarket potential. When the 320 came out, the 328 got higher compression high boost which limits the overhead capacity of the 328 engine vs the low boosted 320.

That said, the 328 is wonderfully balanced. It's amazing what taking 160lbs off the front end does. The car transitions so much quicker. It was a hard decision for me as well. Eventually the seductive power of the 335 got me. And now with the high boosted 328's, the decision to go with the 335 is more advantageous.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0