05-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #32
pgy915
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 328i GT

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deli View Post
Thank you for all the insight. In truth I was always looking at used since I've gotten bitten before with the depreciation of a new car. I was just deciding if a CPO was worth the extra $2-3k over a regular used car that was inspected, and it looks like most people agree the peace of mind is worth it.

I've found the car I want which is a fully loaded CPO 2014 estoril blue 335 with 34k miles, but the issue is it's 4 hours away so I've been only negotiating through email. Original price was $38k and I've already got them down to $35k by playing the waiting game. My hope is to get them down a bit more, but I think they are getting impatient with me. It has to be worth it to me to make that drive since I'm alright waiting. My biggest worry is they are going to rob me on my trade in knowing that once I'm there, I won't leave without the new car.
Never think they're getting impatient, they are just beginning to worry about another price reduction for you. What I would do is wait for them to call you again, or call them back if you're hungry. Let them know you're looking at a comparable vehicle (BMW/Mercedes). Some points:

1. You love the GT, but your wife loves the "other vehicle".
2. It has lower or similar miles to the GT in discussion. Well maintained.
3. The other dealership is willing to go $30k.
4. The other dealership is closer and way more convenient for you. However, because the final decision is yours, give the GT dealer one more chance. Tell them you're willing to drive 4 hours and take the car home "TODAY", but only if they can meet you at $30k (or your preferred price). You're doing them a BIG favor by taking it off the lot so they can replace the GT with another car that will sell quicker and immediately make their money back if they sold the GT to you at a loss.
5. Go get your GT (if things play out well and someone doesn't acquire before you).

Some things to keep in mind:
1. If you're financing, just remember the dealership sets the APR as they have their own credit agency. This means after you get the price you want, its time to negotiate the APR. If its too high, offer to put some money down - dealership will put up a HUGE fight, but will work with you.
2. If dealership sells to you at a loss, they will make the money back the moment they sell another car to someone who doesn't care much about the best price.
3. When dealership tells you they can NOT go any lower...you probably still have three more price reduction rounds to go. When dealership tells you i'm sorry, but I just cant go any lower and i'm going to have to just wait for someone else to buy the GT - its time for you to buy the GT if the price is right.

Good luck man!!!
Appreciate 0