03-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #99
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Please don't group other M3 owners with James.....

Personally, I think his posts are ridiculous and baseless

So you bought a 75k M3 all by yourself.... who cars? Seriously....
What, so someone could "only" afford a 328, and thus that means you're better than they are? wtf?
Also, in case you didn't know, a new loaded F30 335i is near 60k IIRC, which isn't that far off from a e9x M3 MSRP.

James...My E93 M3 had a MSRP of $82,575, and I have over ~$20k in mods; does that mean I'm better than you?

Shesh....

Why do you expect the E9x M3 to have an upgrade now? It's an older generation. They stopped giving a damn about it already.... if they made something available for it, then less people would sell their e9x's and go out to buy F30s. The whole point of offering something new and better in their incoming model is to make it sell and sell, nothing more.

Also, for those who don't have M3s, you may not know this, but the stock E9x M3 brakes are complete crap unfortunately. I do agree that an upgrade should have been available, but they weren't doing these type of upgrades... We're lucky they even developed the M perf exhaust.

Furthermore, don't compare brembos that are designed to work on a Hyundai to the brembos that are aftermarket and designed to work on the M3.

If you truly think that the e9x m3 brembos that retail for $8k (who pays retail anyways?) are identical to the brembos that are put on the Hyundai, you are mistaken.
I'm not saying the Hyundai ones are bad, nononono. But they're designed for that car's weight and specs etc etc.
Do you really think it "degrades" the brembo brand by having it put on a Hyundai? If so...then.... wow...

a BBK will not necessary make a car stop that much better; you need to match it with a graet pad compound along with some great tires.

Take a E9x M3 with stock calipers, rotors, and lines, put a set of race pads on their with RS3s or SS/RE11/AD08s...all up to temp of course
Compare it to an E9x M3 with a Brembo 380mm 6/4 system with stock Brembo pads and cheap tires (like Hankook v12s, Conti DWs, heck even the stock PS2s).
Which car do you think will stop faster?

Now, the stock system will produce more fade, get hotter etc etc... but I'm sure you get my point that just having bigger brakes isn't going to do it all.. it's the package really.... a BBK set up with great pads and tires, now you're getting some where.
I upgraded to StopTech pads, lines, and fluid in my stock system first; then got a Stoptech Trophy BBk with the StopTech pads (same compound that was on my stock system), and now changed the pads to Endless pads. It wasn't until I changed the pads that I truly noticed an improvement in stopping power.
Does this mean that since my BBK retails (again who pays retail..) for close to $8k with pads that retail for about $1k... means my car is better and thus mean I'm better than those who don't have such an awesome brake system? I didn't know I upgraded parts to be better than people... I just wanted to make sure I could make consistent high speed stops with a little less worry.

I agree with the poster who mentioned he'd rather have boring looking brakes that performed better than shiny ones that didn't... function over form... but if you want form over function, then simply go paint your stock calipers, it'll make the more noticeable.

Anyways, if I misunderstood you James, than my apologies for that; but to my understanding... you feel that, as a $75k M3 owner, you're, more-or-less, "better" than the person who bought the "child" 328i....
Again, if I misunderstood, than I apologize for it in advance.

/small rant

+1000000
Appreciate 0