09-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #168
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
Yep, sway end links and mounts are all tight. So I was doing some reading... how about this one!

"Ball joint for the front tension strut, bolted directly to the wheel carrier/steering knuckle

A loose or worn ball joint can cause a lot of strange problems including knocking noises, tire wear, and poor handling. A ball joint can wear out in numerous ways. The most common type of ball joint wear is when the ball joint itself wears in its housing and a gap develops. This causes play and can create looseness in the front suspension."

I'm at 66k miles. They say these guys last 70k to 100k. But I don't recall ANYONE replacing a ball joint. This could explain the disparity of people with properly torqued suspension components - with some with no camber rattle and some with the rattle. At $150 for a new pair, tempting to give it a try.
You can test this by unbolting the LCA/wishbone from the subframe, but leaving it attached to the knuckle and then trying to wiggle the arm around and see if you can get the ball joint at the knuckle end to make noise. Make sure you secure the steering wheel before you try this though or your steering can get thrown off and requiring an alignment after. This can also be done with the tension strut/thrust arm (but I know yours are newer).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
exE36M3487.50