Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I’ll not comment on your choice of Trucker’s switch.

The USB circuit is overtaxed as is and typically outputs only 0.2A. The newer NBT EVO can output 0.5A if Code is changed. You will find many threads of the circuit having issues powering newer larger smartphones. Adding another draw on that would only bog it down more.

The raspberry pi 3 is speced at 1.5A - 2.5A. It technically shouldn’t work on the USB, but obviously it does. Barely. Probably because of the lack of screen and other Pi options.

The underpower also concerns me from several other perspectives. Overloading a circuit is never good and I have no idea what protection a BMW has on the USB circuit.

I am looking to mount mine in dash above part #5. I am thinking there should be plenty of room as I do not have the storage box (2), but the switch panel (1).

Plan to use ODB pin 1 for power (switched) instead of 16 and step down voltage from 12V to 5V.

Hope to connect Y adapter to ODB and replace OEM ODB with Y connector ODB so ODB is unpopulated in Drivers Footwell.
Ha Ha, yeah I couldn't help but throw that switch up there, I didn't even know those existed when I started looking for a simple toggle.

You make a good point about overloading. I'll look use a good 12v connection and use a 12v USB adapter. There is one where I was referring to, between the cup holders, and I never use it anyway. I also like your idea of Y adapting the OBD. Post what you come up with for that.

You will find PLENTY of room behind part 5. I made a Y harness to adapt the LCI dual illuminated dash trim and ran it through from the foot well light.
Appreciate 0