View Single Post
      09-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #22
oma3710
Major
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
That picture sure seems to make it appear that the leak was coming from the filter cap. It wouldn't make sense for the oil to fill those voids if the OFHG was leaking. If the OFHG was leaking that badly, oil would be everywhere and creating pools under the car.

There are two OFHGs. The OFHG between the housing and engine block is the one that tends to leak the worst and there's NO WAY it would pool oil there. It's physically impossible. The other OFHG is between the main oil filter housing and the front oil filter housing plate. In order for that gasket to leak into that area would require a pretty obvious leak and at the top of the gasket, not the bottom. For that amount oil depicted, it seems very very unlikely.

When you saw this oil accumulation, how long had it been since your last own change? It sure looks to me like the oil filter cap was leaking and dumping oil into the depicted areas, especially since you were hearing a vacuum leak.

The oil was all over the place.
SOLD! 435i- Cary Jordan E30 Tune~ Dinan Turbo~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ FTP oil catch can~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 0