300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
A lot of comments on this thread about including/not including the sedan and coupes in the same sales figures. From my perspective, the real take away is that BMW 3/4 is kicking its competitions' collective behinds.
Agree wholeheartedly.

It would be nice to see how the 5/6 compare to E class too. That model lineup includes the coupe and convertible even though, just as it was when they were called the CLK, they are not mere two door versions of the sedan, but separate models. I suspect it would be very close. Of course, that would mean including 6 GC in the figures, so then we rightfully must include CLS figures in there too I suppose. Slippery slope. Not to mention its 5 GT vs. E estate. As more and more new models and new model variations come onto the scene, normalization of the numbers only gets tougher.

It's not a new thing though. Just look at full size pickup sales numbers where Ford has been the winner for decades (if things haven't changed recently), but only because the nearly identical Silverado and Sierra are counted separately.
If you look at the way BMW reports it's sales, it clearly distinguishes between the 5 and the 6. Mercedes does not do that, they report sales as E Class sales, no coupe/sedan sales. I suspect the list is created using the line items reported by each manufacturer. So the 6 did not make the cut, about 7k sold YTD. Even if we were to combine the 5 and 6 sales it wouldn't matter as far as the E and 5/6 sales go. The E would still be above the combined sales numbers of these two.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0